Thanks to Katy Perry’s new black lipstick for CoverGirl and Taylor Swift’s decision to go goth with a similar dark lipstick at the Met Gala, Polyvore is reporting that searches for black and deep-colored lipsticks have spiked. If you’re among the masses looking for the best dark lipsticks (who says summer is all about bright makeup?), here are the ten most popular shades on Polyvore.
1. Smashbox Be Legendary Matte Lipstick in Plum Role ($21). This pick is ideal for anyone wanting to experiment with a dark shade without going for full-on black. It’s a deep purple that’s moody, but not so much so that you look like an emo teenager circa 2001.
2. Gorgeous Cosmetics Lipstick in Gothic Park ($25). And then there are those of us who aren’t afraid to go as dark as it gets. This lipstick is a superdeep-blackish-purple shade with a creamy finish.
3. M.A.C. Viva Glam Ariana Grande Lipstick ($17). If you search the hashtag #ArianaGrandaVivaGlam on Instagram, you’ll see why this plum lipstick with black undertones is so popular. It’s simply stunning.
4. Gucci Pigment-Rich Lipstick in Dark Romance ($39). Leave it to Gucci to make a flawless lipstick. This is a saturated deep-brownish-purple color that goes on easily, thanks to the way the lipstick is sculpted to cover your entire lip in one swipe.
5. Lime Crime Styletto Opaque Lipstick ($18). If you’re looking for a dark lipstick that’s wallet-friendly, this is a good option. But you’ll have to make a commitment to the intense blue-black color.
6. Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Shame ($11). This deep-berry shade isn’t too dark, so it works well for daytime.
7. Lipstick Queen Bête Noire Possessed Intense lipstick ($40). Poppy King, the founder of Lipstick Queen, is a master when it comes to creating pigmented, rich shades. Her dark lipsticks are no exception: If you’re on the hunt for a moody dark purple, snag this one.
8. Givenchy Rouge Interdit Vinyl lipstick in Noir Révélateur ($33). This lipstick’s badass sleek case is just as awesome as the intense black color it delivers. It’s also infused with black rose oil so the formula doesn’t dry up on you after an hour of wear.
9. Ardency Inn Modster Long Play Supercharged Lip Color in Black Is Blue($25). You can find this blue lipstick at Urban Outfitters, so it’s easily accessible.
10. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar in Black Dahlia ($16). Black Dahlia isn’t black, but rather a superdark cherry. Fans of OCC love that the formulas never, ever fade away throughout the entire day.